Website Star House
Star House exists to lift young people out of homelessness and into a community of hope. Founded in 2006, Star House operates our nation’s only 24/7/365 drop-in center for teens and young adults experiencing homelessness that offers immediate access to safety and hosts continuous best practice research for effective service. Along with the Finance Fund and the Columbus Metropolitan Housing Authority, Star House operates the only housing village of its kind in Central Ohio for young people who are exiting homelessness. The organization met the unique needs of 1,160 individual young people in 2022, successfully connecting them with housing, jobs, education, health care, therapy and a range of community resources.
Star House’s mission is to do whatever it takes to support young people as they exit homelessness and thrive in a community of hope. Our vision is to replicate our evidence based model of service for youth across Central Ohio and beyond, based on the need and demand for our services in other communities.
With intrinsic passion for the mission and vision of Star House, the VP of Development will lead the organization’s strategic fundraising efforts aimed at cultivating and stewarding donors. The VP of Development will oversee strategy development and execution of goals that will support all facets of fundraising for Star House.
Responsibilities and Scope:
Star House seeks a VP of Development who will lead, inspire and execute a growth strategy that includes sustaining existing services and expanding services into new communities. The VP of Development will lead all fundraising efforts, including annual giving campaigns, gift-in-kind programs, planned giving and oversight of special events. This role will lead a team that includes grant writing, event coordination, communications and partner engagement. As an excellent relationship builder, this role will interface with key stakeholders, including funders, policymakers and community leaders. In close collaboration with the CEO, Board of Directors and Development Committee, this strategic role will create and implement fundraising plans for all operations and expansion goals.
Key Position Functions:
The VP of Development will be responsible for ensuring that our fundraising efforts are successful. This means creating strategies to raise funding; building relationships with donors and leading the development team to meet our financial goals. This is a highly collaborative role involving partnership with our leadership team, board members, Development Committee and other stakeholders to ensure we have the funding to support current and future programming. The VP of Development will be responsible for the oversight of our annual gala and other fundraising events in coordination with the development team, event planner and development committee members. In addition, the VP of Development will need to be an engaging communicator and have strong organizational skills to keep track of all the moving parts of fundraising and related objectives. Specific activities of this role include:
- Fundraising strategy and operations
- Team leadership, enrichment and management
- Donor cultivation, engagement and stewardship
- Board and committee relations
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field
- 10+ years of demonstrated achievement in fundraising experience within a leadership capacity
- Demonstrated ability in securing and retaining major gifts from individuals, corporations, foundations and other private or public funding sources
- Experience securing six-figure donations and above required
Skilled in the use of personal computers, Google Suite, Microsoft Office and fundraising software applications such as Salesforce, iWave, etc.
- Ability to lead and support staff through organizing, prioritizing and scheduling work assignments
Experience running a successful, major capital campaign(s) is a plus
- Demonstrated success in planning and implementing long- and short-range development initiatives
- DEI+B mindset
- Expert verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituents
- Ability to conduct research, gather data, analyze information and prepare communications accurately and efficiently
- Proven track record of success in grants oversight
Ability to use fiscal information to make informed recommendations and decisions about the development budget and fundraising priorities
- Ability to oversee the planning, organization and coordination of activities and special events with a keen eye to organizing resources and establishing priorities
Salary and Benefits:
- Competitive salary, commensurate with experience
- State healthcare benefits and retirement
- Columbus Metropolitan Club membership
- Opportunity to apply for Leadership Columbus
- COhatch membership
Star House is committed to equal opportunity employment, regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, socioeconomic status, national origin, veteran or disability status. In order to further Star House’s mission, achieve our vision and live out our values, drawing from the collective wisdom of a diverse group of individuals is essential. With diverse minds influencing our work and decisions, we can go further for the young people we serve, ensuring that our continued programming and the solutions developed along the way are influenced by the best minds.
To apply for this job please visit www.starhouse.us.