Website Star House
Star House exists to lift young people out of homelessness and into a community of hope. Founded in 2006, Star House operates our nation’s only 24/7/365 drop-in center for teens and young adults experiencing homelessness that offers immediate access to safety and hosts continuous best practice research for effective service. Along with the Finance Fund and Columbus Metropolitan Housing Authority, Star House operates the only housing village of its kind in Central Ohio for young people who are exiting homelessness. The organization met the unique needs of 1,160 individual young people in 2022, successfully connecting them with housing, jobs, education, health care, therapy, and a range of community resources.
Star House’s mission is to do whatever it takes to support young people as they exit homelessness and thrive in a community of hope. Our vision is to replicate our evidence-based model of service for youth nationally and globally, based on the demand for our services in other communities.
We are seeking a VP of Expansion who believes in our mission; embodies our values of unconditional love, doing whatever it takes as long as it takes and creating innovative solutions; and who can help us achieve our vision with development expertise.
Title: VP of Expansion
Work Location: Star House, 1220 Corrugated Way, Columbus, OH 43201
Reports To: CEO
The VP of Expansion will play a critical role in the growth and success of Star House, a nonprofit organization dedicated to partnering with teens and young adults experiencing homelessness as they exit homelessness and gain a permanent place to call home in a supportive community. Reporting directly to the CEO, the VP of Expansion will oversee the replication of Star House’s drop-in center, housing, workforce and community engagement programs. This role requires a strategic integrator who can drive the organization’s expansion efforts while ensuring the highest standards of program implementation and operational effectiveness.
Responsibilities and Essential Functions:
The following duties are representative of performance expectations; however, the list below is not ranked in order of importance.
• Informed Decision-Making: Ensure that Star House has the information necessary for informed decision-making as the organization expands into new communities.
• Expansion Strategy Development: Develop and execute a comprehensive expansion strategy (“business plans”) to replicate Star House’s drop-in center, housing, workforce and community engagement programs in new communities, in coordination with the CEO and Expansion Committee.
• Program Replication: Oversee the replication process, ensuring that all aspects of the programs are accurately translated and implemented at new sites while maintaining quality and fidelity to the original evidence-based model. Remove obstacles and barriers, manage major projects, standardize and systematize work and integrate all major program and resource functions.
• Operational Excellence: Establish and implement systems, processes and quality control measures to ensure the efficient and effective replication of programs while upholding the organization’s high standards of service delivery.
• Partnership Development: Identify and cultivate strategic partnerships with relevant stakeholders, including government agencies, community organizations, funders and collaborators, to support the expansion efforts.
• Resource Mobilization: Collaborate with the Development Team to secure the funding and resources necessary for successful program replication, including grant writing, donor cultivation and fundraising initiatives.
• Team Leadership: Build and lead a high-performing expansion team, providing guidance, mentorship and support to ensure team members are equipped to achieve their goals and deliver excellence in program replication.
• Monitoring and Evaluation: Develop metrics, tracking mechanisms and evaluation frameworks to assess the impact and success of replicated programs, making data-driven decisions to continuously improve program outcomes.
• Knowledge Sharing: Facilitate the sharing of best practices, lessons learned and programmatic innovations across the organization to promote knowledge exchange and ensure ongoing improvement in program replication efforts.
Note: This job description is an outline of key responsibilities for the Expansion role. It is not exhaustive and is subject to change, based on the organization’s needs and priorities. While the purpose of the role will remain the same, the employee can expect evolving duties and responsibilities and needs to be adaptable, given expected organizational growth. This employee will be responsible for growing Star House’s expansion team in the years to come.
“Job performance is evaluated according to the policy provisions of Star House and the Educational Service Center of Central Ohio-Council of Governments.”
• Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field (master’s degree preferred).
• Proven experience in program replication, expansion or scaling efforts within the nonprofit sector with strong third-party validation through references.
• Experience with low-income housing development required.
• Strong knowledge of homelessness, housing, workforce development and related social issues.
• Demonstrated experience managing projects from inception to completion.
• Demonstrated leadership skills with the ability to effectively manage teams and drive results.
• Excellent strategic thinking and problem-solving abilities.
• Exceptional communication and relationship-building skills.
• Track record of successful partnership development and resource mobilization.
• Familiarity with monitoring and evaluation methodologies and data-driven decision-making.
• Passion for social impact and a deep commitment to Star House’s mission and values.
Note: This assignment may require a valid driver’s license and access/availability of a reliable vehicle.
Star House is committed to equal opportunity employment, regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, socio economic status, national origin, veteran or disability status. In order to further Star House’s mission, achieve our vision and live out our values, drawing from the collective wisdom of a diverse group of individuals is essential. With diverse minds influencing our work and decisions, we can go further for the young people we serve, ensuring that our continued programming and the solutions developed along the way are influenced by the best minds.
To apply for this job please visit www.starhouse.us.