Website Local Matters
Introduction to Local Matters
Local Matters’ mission to create healthy communities is rooted in access, equity, and collaborative leadership. The organization partners with communities to transform their food systems from the ground up, and in turn, reduce barriers to food access, education, and affordability for generations of Central Ohioans.
Local Matters partners with individuals, organizations, and neighborhoods in Central Ohio to create healthier communities and celebrate the joy and connections that food fosters. The committed team of staff and board members believe that good food is a fundamental human right and envision a world free of food-related chronic disease.
Each year, Local Matters’ staff and partners support more than 10,000 community members—from preschool to high school students and from parents to seniors. With an operating budget of $1.5 million, Local Matters is a leader in the movement toward community-driven, equitable approaches to food education, access, and affordability.
Local Matters seeks an experienced, collaborative, community-oriented executive to drive the organization’s continued impact increasing food access, education, and equity in Central Ohio and beyond. The incoming Executive Director will partner with the Board and committed staff to shape the vision and strategy to guide the organization into its next era.
The new Executive Director will combine their commitment to Local Matters’ mission with their understanding of nonprofit operations, policy and advocacy, finance, strategic planning, fundraising, and management to lead the organization into its next era. The ideal candidate will thrive in collaborative and visionary roles and bring the expertise to create the operational infrastructure and community support to achieve ambitious goals.
Key Position Functions
The Executive Director of Local Matters provides strategic leadership and day-to-day management of the organization, working in partnership with the Board of Directors, staff, and community members. The Executive Director will:
- Evaluate, build on, and refine existing assets and strategies, to further strengthen the organization’s position as a leader in the nonprofit community.
- Ensure operations, including program delivery and fundraising, align with the organization’s mission and strategic purpose.
- Provide strong leadership to staff; understand and implement best practices of nonprofit board governance.
- Cultivate and steward relationships with current and potential organizational supporters and partners including individual donors, corporate sponsors, foundations, civic and government leaders, and school representatives.
- Elevate the organization’s visibility in the region and educate the community about Local Matters’ mission and impact.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field or equivalent experience
- Proven professional experience leading cross-functional teams
- Exemplary verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, accessibility, and belonging
- Proven understanding of nonprofit governance and management
- Previous fiscal management accountability and fund development experience
- Experience building multi-sector, institutional partnerships
- Understanding of food-systems or other basic community needs
- Experience attending anti-racist training and workshops and comfort engaging in conversations around the intersections of power, privilege, and identity
- Previous experience leading advocacy efforts or engaging in public policy initiatives
- Leadership experience in a human-services organization
- Comfort and familiarity with principles of community-centric fundraising
- Ability to lead a small, highly collaborative team
- Leadership experience in a fast-moving nonprofit organization
Local Matters is pleased to offer a competitive compensation and benefits package for this position. Target salary is $95,000-$115,000, commensurate with experience.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO)
Local Matters provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, height, weight, national origin, disability condition, marital status, status as a disabled or Vietnam-era veteran, or any other protected characteristic as established by law. In addition, Local Matters affirmatively seeks to advance the principles of equal employment opportunity as it applies to all policies and procedures relating to recruitment and hiring, compensation, benefits, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
Benefactor Group is pleased to be assisting Local Matters with this executive search. Applications will be reviewed as they are received. All applications are considered highly confidential. To be considered for this position, please send a resume and cover letter in pdf format to:
Benefactor Group Recruitment Team
To learn more about Local Matters, please visit https://www.local-matters.org/
The full position profile can be viewed here: https://bit.ly/LocalMatters-EDprofile
Please do not contact Local Matters staff or board with questions or interest in the role. All inquiries about the position should be directed to Benefactor Group.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org