Website Columbus City Schools
TITLE: Chief Operating Officer (Senior Chief)
JOB STATUS: Administrator, FLSA Exempt
REPORTS TO: Superintendent/CEO
DEPARTMENT: Business & Operations
Responsible for providing strategic leadership to create and foster safe, enriching, and innovative learning environments, supported and differentiated operational programs, and a values-driven employee culture tied to the Board Goals & Guardrails and Strategic Plan. The Chief Operating Officer leads several departments including Buildings & Grounds, Capital Improvements, Custodial Services, Food Services, Purchasing, Safety & Security, and Transportation.
The statements below are intended to describe the general nature and scope of work being performed by this position. This is not a complete listing of all responsibilities, duties, and/or skills required. Other duties may be assigned.
- Oversee the performance and effectiveness of the district’s operational departments and is responsible for the planning, development, and execution of the district’s operational short- and long-term strategic goals, objectives, and initiatives.
- Provide direct reports and operational staff with ongoing coaching and development.
- Oversee compliance and innovation with established and aspirational operational policies and procedures.
- Proactively identify, analyze, and address off-track metrics to achieve outlined goals and objectives.
- Set goals for all department staff to ensure every employee understands their contribution to the success of students.
- Identify opportunities for cross-functional collaboration and align teams to realize efficiencies.
- Collaborate with the operational team department heads to implement systems to ensure timely response and impeccable service to schools, central office staff, and other stakeholders.
- Under the direction of the Superintendent/CEO and interface with Board of Education members to support CCS initiatives and provide expertise and recommendations.
- Attend all Board meetings and functions in order to represent operational departments.
- Oversee and advocate for the business and operations budgets in compliance with established local, state, and federal policies and regulations.
- Review and assess district policies and decisions through an equity lens to foster a culture of continuous improvement in helping CCS become a more student-centered district.
- Coordinate with external partners, including the City of Columbus and community-based organizations, to align equity efforts citywide.
- Partner with internal and external stakeholders to identify opportunities to improve and streamline processes and policies.
· Bachelor’s degree required.
· Master’s degree in Business, Education Administration or a related field required.
· Ten (10) years or more experience in a senior-level operations position with a large organization; or equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the position.
· Experience in a large urban school district.
· Experience supporting diverse and economically disadvantaged populations.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
· Broad knowledge of Ohio K-12 educational programs, services, legislative requirements, policies and current issues.
· Demonstrated leadership skills to effectively manage the daily operations and administration of assigned functions.
· Interpersonal skills necessary to work productively with BOE, Superintendent/CEO and district administrators in long range strategic and business planning and decision-making.
· Ability to participate in and facilitate group meetings.
· Strong written and verbal communications skills including, effective presentation skills.
· Analytical ability to develop the district’s communications and marketing strategies.
· Strong organizational skills with demonstrated ability to manage multiple complex roles and responsibilities.
· Demonstrated ability to effectively serve as a leader and member of a team.
· Interpersonal skills necessary to communicate effectively and work productively with all levels of district staff.
· Analytical ability to develop plans of action to address a variety of issues and concerns in a timely manner.
· Demonstrated ability to effectively manage work schedules to maximize productivity.
· General knowledge of urban educational challenges.
· Ability to maintains confidentiality regarding sensitive matters.
· Demonstrated analytical ability to lead the design, implementation and management of large developmental programs
· Personal demonstration of continuous learning for self-improvement.
· Excellent team building, coaching, and facilitating with interpersonal skills for all levels in an organization.
· Demonstrated ability to use information provided through evaluation feedback from supervisor to improve performance.
The qualifications listed above are intended to represent the education, experience, skill and ability levels typically needed to successfully perform the essential duties contained in this job description. Columbus City Schools (CCS) is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against individuals regardless of race, sex, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, gender identity or expression, ancestry, familial status, military status or disability in its educational programs, activities, and employment policies. CCS fully supports the hiring and employment of individuals with physical or mental disabilities who meet the job qualifications, so long as the individuals are able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
To apply for this job please visit www.schooljobs.com.