Website After-School All-Stars Ohio
ASAS is currently seeking exceptional and engaging youth leaders to assist in providing leadership and support in academic, cultural and recreational enrichment. Under the direct supervision of the Site Manager, the Program Leader will provide a safe environment that educates, enlightens and inspires youth in a school setting. The successful candidate will be a self-starter with a great personality, passionate about serving youth in an educational setting, with the ability to mentor elementary and middle school students.
Founded in 1992, After-School All-Stars (ASAS) is a national non-profit organization which provides free, daily afterschool programs to nearly 75,000 children in need on over 350 school sites in 19 chapters across the U.S. Our goals for our All Stars is to be healthy and active, to graduate high school, to find a job that they love and to give back to their communities. We achieve this by identifying and fueling our students’ individual passions, tying their interests to tailored academic support, enrichment and health and fitness programming.
The Ohio chapter of ASAS was founded in 2000 in Columbus and expanded to serve two additional cities in 2012. Currently ASAS Ohio offers programming to students in Columbus and Toledo with a separate office in Cleveland run by the ASAS Cleveland team.
ASAS provides programs and transformative opportunities that help students develop the skills, knowledge, and habits needed to succeed in life, school, and their future career. We deliver comprehensive programs to our students for three hours a day Monday-Friday in four primary focus areas: Academics, Health & Fitness, Social-Emotional Learning, and Enrichment.
During our first programming hour, students transition from the school day to the after-school program by enjoying a warm meal and engaging in active play activities. This less structured time ensures students have devoted screen-free time as well as unstructured play time which has been shown to support the development of social emotional skills, in particular communication and collaboration skills.
After meal time students rotate between 4 blocks:
Block A: Homework support and self directed sensory boxes
Block B: LitART–ASAS Ohio’s chosen literacy intervention program.
Block C: iReady Tech Time or Cultural Studies–iReady is a comprehensive assessment and instructional program students use during the school day. The academic based cultural studies class focuses on current events and the telling of stories of people from all walks of life as well as allowing our own students a space to share their stories.
Block D: Daily rotation between enrichment, social-emotional learning, or health and fitness activities.
This is a full-time position, paid hourly.
The full-time Program Leader, under the direction of the Program Director, is responsible for the daily implementation of the After-School All-Stars program model:
- Lead and assist in planning (prep-time) and implementation of the daily after-school program under the direct supervision of a Site Manager
- Responsible for executing lesson plans and activities with a classroom of up to 18 students (depending on age)
- Lead and assist in preparing a creative environment using academic, cultural and recreational enrichment including the preparation of needed supplies and materials
- Collaborate with Programming team to establish and maintain high quality programs
- Use age-appropriate methods that include youth development principles
- Supervise participants in the activity areas
- Maintain professional attitude, rapport and appearance with all program stakeholders
- Communicate with school staff, parents and other family members regarding program activities, student needs, academic performance, and events
- Attend all required staff meetings and trainings
- Availability to work evenings and weekends if necessary
- Willing to travel to off-site meetings, trainings, and events
- To perform other duties as assigned
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee frequently is required to stand, walk, sit, and talk or hear. The employee occasionally is required to use hands to finger, handle or feel, reach with hands and arms, and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and ability to adjust focus.
Travel is primarily local during the business day.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
This job operates in a child care environment but is based in an office. The position will interact with children in classrooms, regularly. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets, and fax machines, along with moving sports and recreational equipment. The noise level in the work environment is moderate.
Who Should Apply?
The successful candidate will have a year or more of youth development program experience or related nonprofit experience. The individual will have a familiarity with and passion for working with youth. The PL must be youth-focused, and proactive, with a passion for providing high-quality programming to youth.
Education and/or Certification Requirements:
- Must be 18 years of age and a high school graduate or GED
- Pass an FBI and BCI&I background check
Skills and Experience:
- Experience working with students in grades K-12 in recreational, educational and/or community youth outreach setting
- Coursework in education, social or human services, youth development, or related field is desirable
- Experience working with underserved populations
- Strong understanding of how children and youth develop, and the factors that influence child development
- Superior organizational, time management, and multi-tasking skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills: the ability to effectively liaise with and motivate a variety of people in a multicultural entrepreneurial environment
- Ability to maintain a flexible schedule, including working some evenings and weekends as needed
- Fluency in a language other than English highly desired
- Student focused: ability to relate to and work well with diverse children and youth; striving for high participant satisfaction; going out of our way to be meet the needs of our students
- Initiative: taking ownership of our work; doing what is needed without being asked; following through; commitment to one’s own learning, skill building and professionalism on the job
- Inclusion: Values all people for their unique talents; takes an active role in promoting practices based on inclusion and cultural competence
- Coachability: being receptive to feedback; willing to learn; embracing continuous improvement
- Data driven: Ability to gather and review program data for timely program improvement
- Flexibility: ability to adapt to changing circumstances; navigates ambiguity appropriately; adapts well to new situations, obstacles, and opportunities
Salary and Benefits:
The salary for this position starts at $15/hour and commensurate with qualifications and experience of the individual candidate. ASAS offers competitive benefits including, but not limited to 18 Vacation days, health, dental, vision, and 401K plans.
We actively encourage diverse candidates to apply. ASAS Ohio provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, age, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, disability, national origin, genetic information, or veteran status.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
To apply for this job please visit after-school-all-stars-ohio.prismhr-hire.com.